Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tomah Mid-Season Moved To Hatfield

Well, this year has been unpredictable - that's for sure!

Almost 50 today - the last days of January - and there is poor ice almost everywhere in the Southern 1/2 of Wisconsin.  The good news is Lake Arbutis (Hatfield) is still in great shape - so that's where we're going for the Feb 5 CWIRA Mid-Season Championship.

Also, this WILL COUNT AS ROUND 2 of the Triple Crown Championship with Round 3 the following Sunday at Weyauwega.

More details in the next couple days - please spread the word to folks who might not read the Internet.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Not Racing Wausau - event moved to Rock Dam

IMPORTANT UPDATE:  Due to unforeseen problems that developed late this week the CWIRA will NOT be racing at Wausau this weekend.  On Sunday the 29th the race has been moved to Rock Dam (site of last weeks race) and will be a regular CWIRA Points event.  Round Two of the Triple Crown Series will now take place at the Mid-Season Championship race in Tomah February 5th.  Weyawega is unchanged.

Also, note that the AMA Ice Nationals (Davison, MI) has also re-scheduled - it is no longer running on the 5th but moved back one week to the 11th/12th.

Because this Sunday is now a "normal" points race be aware that the regular start times (and sound checks) will apply.

Please help spread the word.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Kold Kutter Heats Up Triple Crown Purse By $1500

As we move into "Round Two" of the Triple Crown Series at Tomah we are pleased to announce the prize fund got a $1500 boost from Kold Kutter Ice Screws.  All three Triple Crown events (Amherst, Tomah and Weyauwega) have added cash payouts - a big part of that from Kold Kutter.

Kold Kutter continues heating up this years Ice Racing with the Kold Kutter Pro Shootout at Davison, MI February 11th & 12th where a $5000 payout will be up for grabs.  More info at www.koldkutter.com. Note that the date has changed - detailed update info available here.

Friday, January 20, 2012

ROCK DAM IS A GO!!!!!!!!

The insurance is confirmed.  Rock Dam will race as scheduled.

Let's rock.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Insurance Update - Rock Dam

I can tell you I'm getting real tired of having to report this kind of information.

On Tuesday we found insurance and they assured us things would be OK.  We requested the insurance binder be delivered to us on Thursday morning.  On Thursday morning they told us they would not be writing the insurance for our event at Rock Dam.  As of this moment we do not have insurance available for the Sunday Jan 22 event.

Having been down this road before we have some back-up plans.  We had one additional company available that we have been told will give us an answer on Friday morning by 10am.  If that falls through we also should be able to get coverage from the same insurer (Rider Network) that we used when we had coverage problems several years ago, however that will come with several disadvantages:

Cost will be nearly 4 times more than we were paying.
No 3 wheelers (not a big issue)
Several more restrictive rules we must follow in how we run our event - mostly in the areas of separation between the track and pits/spectators.  There may be more - I haven't seen the details of that coverage yet.

Ice is NOT an issue - there is plenty at Rock Dam.

NEXT week we are covered by the USSA insurance so that's a go no matter what - as is the Weyauwega event.

Now, for a "worst-case" scenario:  No insurance no matter what.  The promoters at Amherst have graciously offered their facility to us.  However the track will have to be re-iced/re-flooded to be in race shape and that has to be done correctly for it to be worth the effort - but it is an option for the weeks AFTER Wausau.  We can get insurance from almost anybody for a "dry land" event so that is not an issue.  There is also the possibility of more than one visit to Weyauwega, so we could get more than just a couple of events in on the year.

You may be asking right now "what about all the races that still ran last week?"  Good question, so I asked it of several people. Every event that I was able to talk to a promoter about admitted that they simply ran without insurance.  Despite what you may have heard, being on a lake - whether you collect money/sign waivers or not - DOES NOT protect ANYONE from liability.  If anything bad happens the CWIRA and it's officers, board, race officials and workers could be faced with liability without the protection of insurance.  So no, that is not an option.

Where all this leaves us is right now we are waiting on either the latest insurance carrier we talked to or the Rider Network coverage to keep this weeks Rock Dam event on schedule.  We can survive the $$$ thing with Rider Network for this week so at this point we'll "take what we can get" to make the event happen.

I will update this info after we hit the 10am mark Friday.  I will be at work 8:30 to 8pm Friday at 715-623-4144 so if anybody needs to talk/vent - otherwise the raceday hotline will be updated as needed 715-212-6340.


Monday, January 16, 2012

Links to forms

The new logo on the top of this page has a link to all the forms we use on race day as well as the youth waivers. Or, you can click here.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hanna Daniels Update

Posted by her Dad Tuesday afternoon:  http://s14.zetaboards.com/CWIRA/topic/6687359/1/

Amherst Results

Got em up.
Portage County Ice Wars Final Results
Amherst Race Entry List

Note that there were several updates.  If you ran in Pee Wee Quad, Pro/Am Rubber ATV or Open Pro Quad - check the updated results.

I DO NOT have the "results" tab (top of the page) updated for 2012 yet - that will happen between now and Wednesday.  I will be adding a separate Triple Crown section so those riders can keep track of the standings there.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Good to go!

As of 6:30pm Saturday all is a go for Sunday at Amherst.  If you have a "smartphone" make use of the twitter @cwira feed for any potential updates.....but so far we are in great shape.  Also remember the "raceday hotline" number is 715-212-6340 if you need to call in from the road and check "what's up".  I update the voicemail message ASAP whenever there is a race status change.

2012 Rule Book Published

The new rule book is up - only minor changes.  Use the "rules" tab above to download.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Amherst Update!

This just in from Mark Powers of the USSA:

"‎***TLR cup race will be ran on Saturday at the Portage County Ice Wars instead of Sunday*** We appoligize for the inconvenience but mother nature rules. We will still have a full schedule of USSA and CWIRA racing on Sunday."

This is a move of the SNOWMOBILE race ONLY.  All CWIRA races will still run on Sunday.  What this all means for CWIRA - not much.  Except that we now will not have to clear the track for the 3pm feature snowmobile race and will be able to "race till done" per the schedule.  Also, the Sunday program should conclude earlier than expected because we are taking out all the presentation stuff surrounding the TLR Cup event.

Remember the time schedule:  Registration at 6, hot laps 7, racing at 9.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

CWIRA Forms You May Need

These links will pull up a printable pdf file of each form.  Remember that if you are printing a Minor Waiver it needs to be printed in color and if a parent is not AT THE TRACK to sign it MUST be notarized with the parent signature.

Race Day Entry Form
Minor Waiver
CWIRA Membership